Frequently Asked Questions

FR44 insurance is a financial responsibility insurance certificate which is a requirement if a person gets convicted for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI). After sentencing, the driver must file an FR44 which provides the minimum amount of insurance coverage.
The States of Florida and Virginia require the FR44 Insurance. This makes people think twice before driving under the influence. Aside from the suspension of the driver’s license, drivers guilty of DUI or DWI automatically increases insurance rates over the next 5 years. The FR44 is aside from the usual penalties that you must pay for like fines, license suspension, and jail time.
If you’ve been convicted of Driving Under the Influence in the State of Florida, you’ll be required to purchase a Florida FR44 Auto Insurance Policy before your license is reinstated.
The coverage that must be on the policy is 100/300/50, which means:
  • $100,000 for a single injury in a single incident
  • $300,000 for multiple injuries in a single incident
  • $50,000 for Property Damage
If your agent is familiar with the FR44 process, they can send your certificate electronically to the State. This is by far the fastest way to show compliance. Make sure you work with an agency that specializes in Florida FR44 Auto Insurance. Improperly filed paperwork can mean additional fines, longer suspension times, and possibly jail time if caught on a suspended license.
If your policy is terminated or lapses, the insurance company will notify the State that you no longer carry FR44 insurance. The State will immediately suspend your driving privileges and you will be required to carry an FR44 for three additional years. It is very important that you not let your policy lapse.
There are basically 2 different types of FR44 policies:
  • Non-Owner Florida FR44. If you don’t own a vehicle, you may be eligible for this type of FR44. The Non-Owner version is usually far cheaper than an Owner policy since the insurance company is not taking on the responsibility of covering a car.
  • Owner Florida FR44. If you own a vehicle, you must put it on your insurance policy. While this version of the Florida FR44 is more expensive, it is required when you own a car.
1st DUI – 180 days to a 1-year revocation effective on conviction date. Or, first offense DUI with Serious Injury – at least a 3-year revocation. Before expiration of the revocation period, you may apply for a hardship license in the county where you live. DUI School completion and treatment, if referred, is required. You then can apply for a hardship license in any Administrative Reviews Office (see listing “Under Suspension – Need Driver License for Work”) where you live.
If you wait to reinstate your license until your revocation period ends, proof of enrollment or completion of DUI School and treatment, if referred, is required. Failure to complete the course within 90 days after reinstatement will result in cancellation of your driver license by the department until the course is completed. Failure to complete treatment may result in cancellation of your driver license.
At the time of reinstatement, whether for a hardship license or a full license, you must take the required examination, and pay an Administrative fee and revocation reinstatement fee and any license fee required. For a DUI conviction on or prior to October 1, 2007, you must provide proof of bodily injury liability insurance in the amount of 10,000 per person and $20,000 per occurrence and $10,000 property damage liability on the arrest date or proof of bodily injury liability coverage and a $15 reinstatement fee will be required. Any DUI conviction after October 1, 2007, must provide proof of auto insurance with an FR-44 and bodily injury liability insurance with limits of 100,000 per person, 300,000 per occurrence and 50,000 property damage liability on the arrest date or proof of liability coverage and a reinstatement fee of $150 up to $500, for subsequent violations will be required.
Florida introduced the FR44 Insurance policy on February of 2008. This certification is similar to SR 22 which is the regular requirement before. There are differences though with SR 22 and FR 44 which includes higher liability limits are required for the latter.
In Florida, when arrested and convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol your license will be suspended through court orders. In order to get your license back, you will be required to get the FR44 and maintain it for 3 years. You can get this form from your automobile insurance company or supplier. Once you get this form from your insurance company your status will automatically be changed to high risk which causes your premium and policy to increase.
The FR44 Forms will also require the insurance provider to inform the DHSMV if you have problems with maintaining your insurance policies.
You’ll need this FR44 Certificate for 3 years from your date of conviction.
Generally speaking, someone with a DUI or alcohol-related violation will need a FR44 filing for 3 years. The start dates for the filings also vary by location because the DMV may suspended your license for a certain amount of time and then advise you of a unique date when you can obtain your license again with a FR44. When we obtain an insurance quote for you, we can go over your violation and conviction dates.
To obtain an estimate for the price of insurance with an FR44 only takes a few moments. When you are ready to purchase your insurance, we can often provide you with a new temporary ID card and FR44 in the same day.
In many situations you may receive a case number. Please make sure to provide us with your case number so that we can have the FR44 form issued correctly. If you have your DUI / DWI conviction date available, that would be helpful as well.
To obtain an estimate for the price of insurance with an FR44 only takes a few moments. When you are ready to purchase your insurance, we can often provide you with a new temporary ID card and FR44 in the same day.
We can help by electronically filing an SR22 or FR44 with the DMV the same day you purchase your insurance (depending on the time of day). You also have the option of having us send you an original SR22 or FR44 via US Mail or Federal Express. If you are close to our office, you are welcome to come in and pick one up.
This is one of our specialties. We can still help you to purchase insurance if your license has been temporarily suspended,even with a 1 year suspension. We are here to help. If your license is suspended because you need an SR22 filing, just let us know.
There are companies that target “good drivers” and companies that target drivers with multiple points. We work with both types of companies to help you find the coverage you need at the right price.
YES! We also work with companies that give excellent discounts to drivers with 1 point or less on their record. We can also help by finding multipolicy discounts for clients who also purchase homeowners, renters, or motorcycle insurance.
Yes! We can help you with a non-owner policy with and SR22 or FR44 filing. Simply fill our our quote request form and we will contact you with a quote.
Remember, a non-owner insurance policy is only for clients who do not have a vehicle (automobile) registered to them, because it will provide coverage if you have a vehicle registered in your name or that you use regularly. Call us to discuss your situation to help determine which type of policy is right for you.

Still Have Questions?

Let our FR44 experts help you clearly understand your FR44 insurance reporting requirements.

You can Contact Us using our Form or feel free to call us on (561) 242-3603
From Monday–Friday 9am-6pm.

Contact Us

©2017 Barker Insurance Group. All rights reserved. Website By Qady.